Tuesday, December 20, 2022

MOVIE REVIEW: 'The Banshees of Inisherin' An Out of this World Dark Comedy

 


'The Banshees of Inisherin' is set in an island off Ireland and I find it to be such a dark comedy that I ended up being more depressed after I watched it.  Don't get me wrong, it has some very witty soundbites, but the overall premise of the movie is a bit depressing, and now being Christmas and all, it did affect me a bit, thinking how that would also affect me personally if a friend of mine does what the character of Bernard Gleeson does to Colin Farrell in the movie.

Otherwise, I understand why the critics are raving over it - all the four main actors here are wonderful.  My favorite is Barry Keoghan who I find quite cute and disarming.  Kerry Condon is also the other strong support in the movie and she deserves all the awards she has been getting.

I find the script very unsettling though and the lengths that the characters go through to prove their respective personal points are quite otherworldly for me. Anyhow, Martin McDonagh gives us another movie that makes us think about our relationships with people close to us and if those relationships are good for us.

I did watch the movie twice, and I appreciated it more the second time I saw it.  I kinda saw the genius the critics were touting. However, I do find the material very dark and not really uplifting.  I may have become a banshee myself after watching the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment