Thursday, August 25, 2022

MOVIE REVIEW: Orphan First Kill - A Prequel with a Twist


I had heard of the earlier Orphan movie but I have no clear recollection of it.  But the movie's reputation precedes it.  Orphan First Kill is supposed to be the prequel.  Surprisingly, I enjoyed the movie very much.  I enjoyed it so much that I felt the movie should've been longer with more interesting plot points, especially that the Dad and the son's characters could've more interesting back stories.

I was surprised that the lead actress is the same actress that did the original so it looked a bit weird that she was supposed to be a very young person.  She did have that childlike aura but it took some suspension of disbelief to see that she was supposed to be a teenager.

The movie has a very interesting twist which I liked very much. When that scene happened, the movie took a different turn but I felt the director did not take  advantage of it and just let the story slide to a foregone and expected conclusion.

The first part of the movie establishes the viciousness of the lead character so by not using the twist in an interesting manner, the movie screeched to a bland ending, which is a shame.

Now that the prequel has been established, I hope the next Orphan movies moves to more interesting territory.

For me, Julia Stiles was such a revelation in the movie.  I thoroughly enjoyed her performance.  It's good that she has played against type in this movie.

If you are into horror movies, I strongly suggest you watch it and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment