Monday, February 17, 2020

Book Review: Elizabeth Kostova's 'The Swan Thieves' Brings the Art World To Your World


I read Elizabeth Kostova's 'The Historian' more than a decade ago, and it took me another decade to finally read her follow-up book, which was released a decade ago.

Anyhow, Kostova uses a similar formula for her second book, this time, bringing us readers into the art world - basically, the lives of the artists that produces all these paintings that we love.

The book's themes centers not only on the art world but also on issues of mental illness and the myriad difficulties of adult relationships.  The book moves back and forth between the present and the past, as there are two stories happening which are all resolved in the end.

What I Like About the Book:

It was fun to read about the Impressionist painters and how they are still influencing today's artists.  All the art talk is new to me, especially that there aren't many fiction books that include art in their story.  There are several excerpts in the book which show how adept Kostova is in describing painting and making art.

What I Don't Like About the Book:

It's a very looooonnnggg read!  I started it in November last year, and it is mid-February already the year after, so I have been reading this on and off for the past four months.  There are parts which dragged on, that's why I would be unmotivated to read it, that's why it took me so long to finish it.  It takes some time as well to warm up to the characters, so that's why I was reading it slowly.

Warnings:

This is a work of fiction, and although it does feature real Impressionist painters, some characters in the book are not real, because I did search their names online, only to realize, they were characters Kostova created to provide a parallel universe for the story.  It really fooled me, as I wanted to know about these 'people' she created.

I wish the book were more compact and the action a bit more fast-paced but it is how it is so we loya readers, just plod on.  What I discovered in the end makes it bittersweet for me and the characters I have learned to care for.  However, if the characters can live with those decisions they made, I should be able to take it as well, since I am only an outsider, looking into their world.

Recommendation

If you a slow art mystery wrapped in a love story, feel free to read the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment