Thursday, December 2, 2021

MOVIE REVIEW: 'The Power of the Dog' Shows the Toxicity of Hiding One's True Sexuality


I have never thought of Benedict Cumberbatch as someone sexy, but after watching Jane Campion's 'The Power of the Dog', I have definitely changed my mind.

He does strip off naked in this movie, but since I was watching it with Mama (!!!!! que horror), I could not really check out if his peter made an appearance similar to the 'dick' scenes a bit like what Neil Patrick Harris and Ben Affleck did in 'Gone Girl' - you have to have an eagle eye to see THEIR ding dongs - well just for fun anyway.  

But man, he's really sexy in this movie, very lean stomach, very hard muscles, and that scowl which he wears in the entire movie, makes him look not only quite sexy - but poised to get another nomination for a Best Actor Oscar.  He should be up there in the top 5.

I won't mention much about the story since I do not want to spoil anything.  The trailer kasi is also very vague so I will just leave it to the viewers to find out the movie's secrets.

What I can say is that all the four major actors are superb. The buzz around Kirsten Dunst winning her first Oscar (for Best Supporting Actress) is quite well-deserved. 

For me, Kodi-Smit McPhee and Jessie Plemons are quite outstanding and hopefully both can get Oscar noms.  They contribute so much to the tension and the unraveling of the story.

I won't be surprised if they get Oscar noms for Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actress, Supporting Actor, Original Music, Cinematography, Adapted Screenplay and Costume Design.  I think those are where the film performs strongly.

The movie is set in Montana and the mountain and plain scenes are quite striking and are all photographed beautifully.  The music also contributes a lot in creating the movie's tension and mystery.  It actually guides the viewer if that scene has something important to say.

This movie is not for everyone.  However, if you are a cineaste, you should not miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment