Saturday, December 18, 2021

Tony's Movie Review: Spielberg Gives West Side Story the Right Freshness for Today's Young Audience While Pleasing Its Older Fans


When I read months ago that the revered film director Steven Spielberg was updating The West Side Story - I admit I was scared for him LOL.  That musical is perfect in almost every sense - every note - every song, the storyline, the choreography - it would be crazy to update it because the movie musical purists would never forgive him if he butchers the movie.

Thankfully, Spielberg is a genius and except maybe for one or two things, he gives the updated movie the right amount of fresh star power for today's generation and pleasing older fans like me who knows the movie by heart.

I still remember the first time I saw Rita Moreno sing 'America' and the goosebumps I felt!  I don't know how Spielberg could possibly top that scene!  And he doesn't lol. I guess I still love the original.

However, even if Spielberg updates parts of the movie, strangely, there is a subliminal message he is sending which kinda makes me worried.

Coming from a country where intermarriage between races is not looked down upon or even much of an issue to most families - there are parts of the dialogue that kinda reinforces that one should not overstep one's group in society.  Or maybe I am just over thinking.  I just hope today's young audience does not get the same vibe that I got.

Otherwise, bravo to everyone in the movie.  Some of the cast will end up in my year-end list for my personal awards as they truly give uplifting performances.

Which brings me to Ansel Elgort.  He used to be one of my man crushes - and still is after watching him in this movie.  But I don't think I'd cast him again if the role requires a bit of nuanced emotional acting lol.  I could feel everyone else's troubled emotional turmoil but his just doesn't register well onscreen.  Maybe Steven should've picked someone from the theater world.  That's all.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment