Saturday, November 20, 2021

BOOK REVIEW: Red, White, and Royal Blue is a Fluffy Royal Romp of Two Princes


I am currently watching the Netflix series The Crown and I am captivated by the lives of the royals of the House of Windsor and all the complications they have had to deal with due to the rigid rules of the court.

This book, will most likely be talking about one of the Windsors as well, since one of the main characters is a British royal.  It presents an interesting proposition where the prince of the royal family falls in love with the first son of the American president.

Talk about the complications of a transatlantic love affair.

I guess that is the reason why my niece, Laura, asked me to buy the book which I read later on.  I was intrigued by that proposition.  

In the beginning, it did appear to be interesting, with all the complications both houses have had to deal with. I did have difficulty reading it because I am still adjusting to how young people talk nowadays, which is not in complete sentences, but in gadget speak, with iterations and abbreviations and texts full of what is supposed to be screen images of their 'dialogues'.

It may be fun for young people but it can be the Egyptian hieroglyphs for anyone 40 years old and above, reading the book.

But I plodded on and got some enjoyment from it.  However, this is a book for juveniles, so everything just remains light and fluffy and no major transatlantic blunder happens that could appear to be gripping.

As my niece says, the last 50 pages are a bit of a downer because the climax is as to be expected which takes away the fun of earlier higher expectations.

However, twists to this scenario can still be added and it would be interesting to find out how a more 'sick' writer can make the love affair of the two princes be more interesting, be more challenging, be more bloody even, LOL.

Juveniles with open minds should read this.  Adults over 40, hmmmm, read at your own risk. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment