Friday, January 10, 2020

Tony's Movie Review: Sila-Sila Deftly Ventures Into Rom-Com Territory





Sila-Sila is a movie which was part of a local cable channel's film festival late last year and it's great that they bankrolled this wonderful movie since it's a breezy rom-com about gay men.
I feel it's important for young gay men right now who are finding their identities to see themselves on the silver screen since based from my experience, it is rather difficult to grow up and not really identify with the characters on a great rom-com.
I remember watching Titanic, Sleepless in Seattle, and Pretty Woman - and all the time, I was wondering, what if it was Leo and me, or Tom Hanks and me, or Richard Gere and me.
It is possible, really, because there are gay billionaires (Pretty Woman), and gay Dads with a son (Sleepless in Seattle), and that stevedore with nice muscles (Titanic) could be gay as well.
At that time, I hated it that ladies can have their kilig moments and I had to settle on wondering what if all those wonderful rom-coms had that 'spin' in their story.
Sila-Sila though is a more intimate rom-com, a portrait of two young men who are trying to get together and become a real couple - which is really difficult when one is in their 20s for the obvious reason that gay men want to f*** the whole volleyball and basketball teams of all the UAAP teams before they decide to settle down.
Now that was a joke, but you know what I mean.
To complicate matters, Topper's character still had THAT gay dating app in his phone even if they were supposed to be 'exclusive' - something which my ex's and I never discussed because I don't really believe in monogamy.
With that premise, the movie unravels, introducing an array of funny, weird friends that gay people have and the insecurities and philosophizing gay men do when they are not f***ing each other.
We f*** like men but we analyze everything like women.
It has a very good script, capturing how young millennial gay people talk and express themselves. It's also well-acted. I have known Topper as a theater actor so I am not surprised at how relaxed he is onscreen.
There are kissing scenes and a blow*** scene, even a scene where half of the couple, played by Gio Gahol, flirted dangerously with a 'high' straight man. I love that scene! Kinda reminds me of me lol.
The ending kinda hangs a bit, as there is no real decision made in the end - and that's actually how most gay relationships work.
They f*** first then become friends, then try to become a couple and end up looking like a couple because the bonds of friendship sometimes become something that resembles that of a family member.
The love now is not just lust. Too bad the movie did not get that much traction even in socmed but it should be shown whenever there's a gay movie festival here or wherever.
There are many gay love stories that need to be told - and this one really feels authentic.

No comments:

Post a Comment