Monday, January 13, 2020

Oscars 2020: Scarlett Johansson Goes Two For the Road




Scarlett Johansson will always be special to me because her character in the movie Lost in Translation became my template during a memorable Tokyo trip in 2004.
Everything she did in the movie, I did as well. I became her. I had no Bill Murray. I had Bill Murrays, plural. But that's me, never just contented with one.
Anyway, the Academy snubbed her performance in that movie and I was sad. No Oscar nomination for Best Actress, because her performance was too subtle, not very showy.
Fast forward 17 years later, finally, she not only gets one nomination, she gets two, one for Lead Actress (Marriage Story) and one for Supporting Actress (Jojo Rabbit).
At the ripe old age of 35!
Her contemporaries like Natalie Portman already have Oscars and nominations as well, so I am happy that the girl who played the young equestrienne who needed a horse whisperer in a movie of the same title, has finally gotten her due - in a big way!
She is not a favorite to win though in both categories but you never know. She may be this year's 'Olivia Colman' LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment