Thursday, September 7, 2023

My Personal Picks to win the Men's and Women's Singles Titles in the 2023 US Open



In my Youtube channel, I have picked Novak Djokovic and Aryna Sabalenka to be the favorites to win the men's and women's singles titles in this year's US Open, basing it on their performance during the fortnight.  In my opinion, they are the players to beat.

However, my personal favorites are different.  I rarely go for Americans, and having two African-Americans is even rarer, especially on the men's side, but this year, it is different.

I have been a big fan of Madison Keys since before but since she does not consistently reach the deeper part of the slams, I could not cheer for her always. 

But she is playing really great here in Flushing Meadows.  I could even bet if she can neutralize Aryna's game, she could reach the finals and have a real showdown with Coco Gauff!

But I will definitely be cheering for her in the semi's and if she does make it to the finals, I hope she finally wins her first grand slam.

As for Ben Shelton, just like any new fan, I am impressed at how he has handled the pressure of beating top players like Tommy Paul and Frances Tiafoe.  He now handles his biggest test yet, the GOAT, Novak Djokovic.  

I will be rooting for him as Novak already has a built in fan club and he has the mental stamina to go the distance of a five set match.

I just hope Ben Shelton does not fold under the pressure of handling a first grand slam semifinal.  But I feel he has the weapons to beat Novak, question is,  is he physically fit to last five sets, and does he have the mental stamina to play at such a high level over a period of four to five hours?

We'll soon see tomorrow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment